Requisition Number: JR02538
Division / Dept.: Library Administration / Library Development
Reports to: Director of Development
Work Schedule: 37.5 hours per week; Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
The University of Chicago Library offers an exciting opportunity to a highly organized and motivated professional to manage the daily operations of its Development department and to help implement fundraising strategies during a momentous University-wide capital campaign.
Reporting to the Director of Development (DoD), the Development Associate often serves as first point of contact for donors and the public and must provide excellent customer service. This role also acts as liaison to University Alumni Relations and Development (ARD), and to other Library colleagues.
This position oversees and implements the acknowledgment program, produces the Library’s yearly complex endowment reporting, and generates other key reports. The Development Associate serves as primary liaison between Library Development and the University’s fundraising database (Griffin) team. Under supervision of the DoD, this position manages all aspects of the Library Society Membership Program, including gift processing and acknowledgements, event planning, and budget. Working with the Director of Communications and the DoD, the Development Associate produces copy for the Library’s newsletter, Libra. This position also maintains Development web pages, collaborates with the University’s Annual Fund team to ensure timely production of appeals, and assists in the management and implementation of Library events. The Development Associate supervises two student workers.
Gift Processing and Acknowledgment:
- Ensures incoming gifts processed carefully and efficiently and donor acknowledgements produced in timely manner.
- Ensures that gifts are allocated to correct Library fund and that tailored acknowledgements are created as needed.
Endowment and Stewardship Reporting:
- Oversees and executes Library’s endowment program.
- Navigates and maintains Access database to generate reports.
- Maintains Griffin database and coordinates activities for special donors with University's Office of Stewardship.
- Works with Library colleagues to produce select stewardship reports on gifts from endowment and non-endowment donors.
Data Retrieval, Analysis, and Reporting:
- Ensures all data-related and reporting needs of dept. met.
- Using data from Griffin, supports DoD’s requests for tailored reports on fundraising progress and giving trends.
- Maintains knowledge of reporting basics in order to analyze data and prepare reports.
- Tracks incoming gifts and analyzes data against past performance in setting goals for future campaigns.
- Manages donor data for Library’s annual fund solicitations in conjunction with ARD, Library Society appeals, and Library Council appeals.
- Assures that basic donor information kept current in Griffin.
- Assists DoD in donor portfolio management.
Library Society Program Management:
- Helps direct annual Library Society Membership solicitation campaign and special events.
- Implements strategic plan to upgrade members’ financial participation.
- Processes and acknowledges all Library Society membership and special gifts.
- Implements annual solicitation campaign for various Library Society funds.
- Plans and coordinates Library Society events, and manages all logistics, working with Library Facilities.
- Writes copy and develops conceptual themes for program invitations and special communications.
- Works with designers/printing vendors on program information production.
- Oversees services of caterers, florists, photographers, and other vendors.
- Works with Special Collections Research Center staff to coordinate programs with exhibitions.
- Monitors Library Society budget.
- Assists in staffing the Chair of the Library Society, preparing all membership communications on their behalf and all remarks for Library Society programs.
Library Council Support:
- Coordinates all logistics of Library Council meetings and activities, tracks Council giving, and supports DoD in managing and engaging Council.
- Monitors and replenishes Development office supplies.
- Researches and writes articles for Libra, the Library’s newsletter.
- Acts as point person and coordinator of annual Alumni Weekend activities at Library.
- Provides logistical support for annual student book collecting competition and maintains competition web site.
- Maintains department web pages.
- Other duties as assigned.