Job Title: Director of Growth and Engagement (Development)
Reports to: President and Executive Director
The People's Music School is a 42-year old institution that has brought the transformative benefits of music to over 10,000 lives across Chicago. Our model is completely tuition-free. We serve students age 5-18 who otherwise would not be able to afford music education. Since music education has benefits that extend far beyond the artistic benefits, we view ourselves as an institution building future leaders. We build cognitive, academic, and social-emotional skills through an intense and rigorous curriculum. Our students learn with us for up to 12 hours per week and their families fulfill a significant volunteer time requirement. In the last 18 months, the school has grown 2x under new leadershipcomposed of alumni from Bain & Company and A Better Chicago, and world-class experience from a newly energized Board of Directors. And we're just getting started...
Director of Growth and Engagement
The Director of Growth and Engagement will be the external “face” of TPMS to our philanthropic stakeholders, and drive all aspects of fundraising and revenue generation. This will be a critical role as the organization tackles its vision of serving 1,000 students by 2020. The primary responsibilities include developing and managing the school’s fundraising strategies, leading the design and execution of a major growth campaign, and setting direction for marketing and events. The Director will work closely with the leadership team (President and Executive Director and Board), collaborate closely with the program team, and manage 2-3 development team members. The role will require a unique balance of strategic and analytic mindset, and the soft skills to engage our multiple and diverse stakeholders.
- Reach jointly-developed revenue targets year over year (current strategy targets serving 1,000 students per year by 2020)
- Achieve revenue-supporting objectives measured by increased network of donors and quality engagement for every constituent (ex: # prospects, # donors, # subscribers, # event attendees, % retention, # stewardship touchpoints)
- Build and help lead potential growth campaign strategy to secure $8-10M over next 3-5 years, leveraging our long history of a proven service model, industry-leading technology innovation, and planned capital improvements
- Cultivate donor relationships, with a particular focus on major gifts, corporations and annual fund donors. This will require direct cultivation as well as facilitation of cultivation and stewardship activities led by the President and Executive Director and the Board.
- Engage the Board in fundraising by preparing for and attending full board meetings, working collaboratively with the Development Committee to target Board fundraising goals and formulate execution plans, and providing tools to Board members that enable cultivation of their networks
- Oversee annual foundation grants calendar and relationships with institutional funders
- Oversee organizational event strategy, including advance planning and execution of each event (e.g. Gala), with dual goals to increase revenue and ensure quality engagement of all constituents
- Design and execute marketing and communications strategy (e.g. website, social media, newsletters, public relations)
- Guide our recently re-launched Associate Board, providing strategic direction and support as necessary
- Develop annual revenue budget and manage annual budget for fundraising and marketing expenses
- Manage development team staff, including 3 direct reports and occasional interns/volunteers, to achieve development goals
- Ensure integrity and utility of all stakeholder information and data (including Salesforce)
- Demonstrate a commitment to TPMS core values: opportunity, excellence, hard work, creativity and community
- Other duties and responsibilities may be required and/or assigned as necessary
The Director of Growth & Engagement will manage a team of 3+ people – existing reports include:
- Director of Development (part-time): senior-level role providing team guidance and support across initiatives
- Development Coordinator (full-time): responsible for many aspects of grant writing, gift processing, support for cultivation of donors, sponsors and key stakeholder groups, and effective operation of marketing and PR events and activities
- Marketing Coordinator (full-time): responsible for managing brand assets, social media, executing events, public relations and managing communications calendar