The Exhibitions Manager manages the production of displays and installations for the 2019 edition of the Chicago Architecture Biennial. Working closely with CAB team including the Artistic Director, Deputy Director and members of the curatorial team, the Exhibitions Manager oversees all aspects of realizing the installed components of the biennial: coordinating art handlers, technical teams, planning timelines for each project, managing budgets, performing registrar duties, and managing partnerships with external contractors.
The Exhibitions Manager plays a critical and hands-on role in the realization of new commissions with Biennial contributors, coordinating fabrication, oversight and management of site-specific work, loans for exhibitions, and overseeing the progress of many concurrent projects in different stages of production leading up to the opening of the 2019 edition of the Biennial. This is an opportunity for a candidate with proven experience at managing various complex artistic projects and who is inspired to work within a small team in a fast-moving and dynamic environment. This position is a full-time, temporary role from February 2019-February 2020; possible opportunity for an extension.
• Produce and manage all exhibition production timelines and budgets
• Oversee production and fabrication of newly commissioned projects
• Coordinate and manage project budgets for 100+ contributors
• Schedule and oversee timely shipping for all exhibitions: scheduling local, national, and international transport including any crating, shipping, customs and necessary storage
• Source and hire fabricators, specialized technicians, and other production support staff
• Oversee all loan contracts and monitor to completion; correspond directly with collaborating organizations, galleries, institutions, and individual lenders
• Facilitate and manage registrarial work including condition reports
• Liaise with facilities and operations managers at each venue during all stages in the planning, organization and delivery of projects
• Coordinate and oversee installation and deinstallation schedules
• Arrange and secure insurance coverage for exhibitions
• Work with exhibition designer and Artistic Director to mock-up floor plans and gallery/exhibition layouts in AutoCad or SketchUp