Description:Our mission is to inspire and change lives through music. Founded as a single choir in Hyde Park at the height of the Civil Rights Movement in 1956, today we serve 4,800 youth who represent all 57 Chicago zip codes. Our founder, Reverend Christopher Moore, believed in uniting youth from diverse backgrounds to become global citizens through music. Over the past 60 years, that simple yet powerful mission has grown exponentially, with programs in 85 city schools, 10 neighborhoods, a choir for boys with changing voices and the world-renowned Voice of Chicago. Voice of Chicago regularly appears with the Lyric Opera of Chicago, Ravinia and Grant Park music festivals and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. The Choir's central offices are in the Chicago Cultural Center.
Summary of the Position: The Program Assistant is responsible for all non-musical activities related to his/her Neighborhood Choir. The Program Assistant works with the conductor to gather important items to communicate to the singers and their parents. He/she also serves as a chaperone at all rehearsals and events to ensure the safety of the singers. This job posting is for our Beverly Neighborhood Choir; therefore, preference will be given to those who are familiar with this neighborhood.
Required Schedule: Regular rehearsal coverage for all assigned choirs (Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 4-6:30pm), Neighborhood Choir concerts and events, and office hours to be scheduled weekly (10-15 hours/week).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collect and track registration and attendance. Report updates to conductor and office regularly.
- Make every attempt to retain singers throughout choir year. Report on singers who discontinue should include end date, reason for leaving, and communication efforts, as appropriate. Collect payments (tuition, fundraising, tour) from singers, issue receipt, and deliver it to the office. Keep accurate records of all transactions.
- Supervise singers before and after rehearsals to ensure all singers are safe and well-behaved. Supervise singer pick-up after rehearsals/concerts.
- Create monthly calendars in time for proofing by office and conductor and distribute to families on paper and via email. Send weekly emails to parents/families, approved by office and conductor, with up to date schedules and upcoming events. Communicate with all families regarding all Choir issues.
- Assist with tour accounting and planning and attending tour.
- Create, copy, and distribute information flyers for fundraisers, events, and other Choir activities. Assist in raising awareness of the Choir by participating in recruitment opportunities and welcoming new singers/families to the Choir.
Part time position – salaried. Chicago Children’s Choir is an Equal Opportunity Employer.